Enrollment Holds & How to Remove Them
Learn what an enrollment hold is, why you have one when you first arrive on campus, and how to remove it.
What is an Enrollment Hold?
When you arrive on campus, you may notice that there is an enrollment hold (ENR 31) on your Stanford account. An enrollment hold places a hold on your ability to enroll in classes. If you have an enrollment hold on your account, you will not be able to sign up for classes on Axess or make changes to your course schedule. All new international students have an enrollment hold (ENR 31), as immigration law requires us to verify your initial arrival to campus as well as your current U.S. residence address. This hold will not prevent students from accessing their assigned housing.
How to Remove your Enrollment Hold
Follow these steps to remove your enrollment hold, which then frees you up to enroll in classes. Holds will be removed within 24 hours of completing these steps:
- Update your SEVIS (US) address in Axess.
- Attend an in-person Maintaining Your Legal Status session during orientation.
- Bring your Stanford ID card (or number), passport, I-94 information, and I-20/DS-2019 to the Maintaining Your Legal Status session.
Past Due Warning
If you notice a "withhold enrollment privileges" statement in your Axess to-do list that states it is "past due," please ignore this warning. Nothing is past due; the hold cannot be removed until you arrive in the U.S.
- Review the Enrollment Requirements webpage for international students.
- If you need assistance while removing an enrollment hold or have questions, please contact your academic advisor.