Skip to content Skip to navigation

Educational Credentials

Applicants for employment visas must hold a minimum of a bachelor’s degree or the equivalent in a specialty occupation related to the intended employment.  

USCIS requires a copy of the applicant's diploma for the highest degree earned. Transcripts are not accepted in place of the diploma, but may supplement it.

Please include a credential equivalency if the diploma is not from a university in the US. Citizenship and Immigration Services operates in the environment of the US educational system, and all non-US credentials must be accompanied by a professionally-prepared statement that evaluates the degree for its equivalency to a degree granted by a US educational institution. The field of study must be stated as part of the evaluation. Be sure this field of study, as stated in the evaluation, is consistent with the intended area of employment.

Bechtel International Center cannot recommend an individual credential evaluation agency. The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) maintains a member list.

Please include a translation of the diploma if the diploma is not in English. The applicant may provide the translation, and at the end of the translation, the applicant must state: "I am fluent in English and (X language) and competent to provide this translation," with signature and date.

If the degree was earned in the US, but the diploma does not specify the field of study, provide complete transcripts. (If the degree is in Latin, the granting institution will usually have a translation available on its web site; this should be included as well.)

Note that E-3 and TN applicants may present their educational credentials without evaluation when they are applying in their home country, but should have evaluations available when they are changing status, extending within the US, etc.

If you have questions about educational credentials, please send an email to