Responsibilities of the Sponsoring Department for H-1B
Departments seeking to sponsor employees in employment-based nonimmigrant classifications have the following responsibilities:
- Notify the Bechtel International Center if there are any substantial changes to job duties, hours, title, department or work location of the H-1B employee.
- Ensure that the employee works only at the location/s specified on the H-1B petition and do not drop below full time (100% FTE).
- Ensure that the H-1B employee does not engage in clinical research or patient care unless the H-1B petition was approved for such duties. Please see more detailed information regarding physicians.
- Initiate an H-1B extension, if needed, at least three to six months in advance of the expiration date.
- Submit a Termination of Employment request in Axess if the H-1B's employment at Stanford ends before the end date of the appointment. The Hiring Department is responsible for the return cost of transportation if the foreign national is dismissed before the end of the period of H-1B status.
- Ensure the H-1B employee receives no fellowship or other non-salary funding.
- Remind the employee to notify the USCIS of any change of address within 10 days of moving.
- Departments should keep a copy of the I-797 Approval Notice, LCA and I-129 form for their records.