- Citizen of the U.S. between the ages of 19 and 26 at the start of program.
- A senior enrolled in or recent graduate (within the past 12 months) of Stanford.
- Nomination from Stanford University.
The Churchill Scholarship has a campus process and requires a Stanford nomination. Therefore, you need to be aware of two deadlines: a campus deadline and a national deadline. Stanford can nominate two candidates to the Churchill Foundation for further selection. The campus deadline is typically in mid-October and the national deadline in early November. The application process is lengthy and requires many months of preparation.
Candidates must also apply for admissions to a graduate program at University of Cambridge and Churchill College.
Should I apply?
Important information, which can help you determine if the Churchill Scholarship is right for you, can be found here:
Additional information on the Churchill Scholarship, including application criteria, can be found at: http://www.winstonchurchillfoundation.org/index.html
Campus Application Process
Applicants must submit the following:
- University of Cambridge Application Form (Applicant Portal available on the Cambridge website at https://www.postgraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/ by October 12.
- Register and complete the Churchill Scholarship Online Application at https://webportalapp.com/sp/login/churchillscholarship by October 13.
- Four Academic Letters of Recommendation - 4 people who are directly familiar with your academic or research work should submit their letters through the online portal by October 13.
- Email the following to Diane Murk email@example.com by October 13.
- PDF of application (to be downloaded from Churchill application system once you submit your application)
- Stanford Churchill Cover Sheet (see above on this webpage)
- Stanford Nomination form waiver (available at the ORC)
- Application form
- Proposed program of study essay (1 page)
- Personal statement (up to 2 pages)
- Correspondence with the laboratory supervisor at Cambridge (email is acceptable). It should indicate a willingness to accept the student into his or her laboratory, pending a successful application.
- Official Transcripts (current and previous institutions, study abroad or summer program transcripts if not already included on institution’s transcript.)
How the ORC can help?
After reading this website and the official Churchill website you should attend a U.K. awards information session. Info sessions can be found at http://bechtel.stanford.edu/overseas-scholarships. This is your first step in working with the ORC team.
About the Churchill Scholarship
The Winston Churchill Foundation of the U.S., established in 1959, supports outstanding American students to do graduate work in engineering, mathematics, and the sciences at Churchill College, Cambridge University. The Scholarship is worth around $60,000, depending on the exchange rate. It covers all University and College tuition and fees. In addition, Churchill scholars receive a living allowance, a travel allowance and a research allowance, as well as reimbursement of application fees for a U.K. visa.
The Churchill Scholarship is only tenable at Churchill College, so you must put Churchill College as your first choice on the Cambridge application. The Scholarship is only for a 1-year Master's degree, so your application must be for an MPhil or MASt, or in rare cases an MRes.