- Be a currently enrolled Stanford student in good standing.
- Graduate students may apply but preference is given to doctoral candidates.
- U.S. citizen or non-German citizen.
The Freie University Berlin Graduate Exchange Fellowship has a campus process and requires a Stanford evaluation. Therefore, you need to be aware of the campus deadlines. Stanford can nominate one student per year. The campus deadline is in mid-February. The application process is lengthy and requires many months of preparation.
Should I Apply?
If you are interested in the FUB Graduate Exchange, you must apply through the Overseas Resource Center (ORC). Information, applications, and advising are available to you at the ORC.
Campus Application Submission:
1. Email PDF of application to Diane Murk email@example.com by February 20 by 5pm:
- Stanford - Freie University Berlin Cover Sheet (See above)
- Statement of Purpose: one version in German & one version in English, (maximum 1,000 words)
- Statement of Language Proficiency (indicating courses taken to date and any relevant practical experience)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Official Transcripts (in sealed envelopes) from each post-secondary institution attended
- Stanford Nomination form waiver (available at the ORC)
- One Digital Photograph (head shot or scanned copy of passport photo are fine, we can take them @ the ORC)
2. To be submitted directly to Diane Murk firstname.lastname@example.org by February 20 by 5pm:
- One Letter of Recommendation from major advisor
- One Letter of Support from department chair, if other than the major advisor
We no longer require hard copies of your application materials for the campus process.
How the ORC can help?
After reading this website and the official Freie University Berlin website you should attend an information session. Info sessions can be found at http://bechtel.stanford.edu/overseas-scholarships.
If you would like to apply for the FUB Graduate Exchange Award, please email Diane Murk, email@example.com
About the Free University Berlin Graduate Exchange Fellowship
The Freie University Berlin Graduate Exchange Award is designed to support Stanford graduate students who must study or conduct research in Berlin, as part of their dissertation or graduate work. Participants are expected to be based at the Freie University Berlin, but may also do independent archival research or affiliate with other research institutes. Award cannot be used to pursue study in numerous fields such as medicine. One award will be offered (per year) for study at the Freie University Berlin. Students can apply for a semester or one-academic year. For many years a graduate direct exchange agreement has existed between Stanford University and the Freie Universität Berlin.
The award consists of a monthly grant (living and housing allowance for the period of ten months, from October 1 to July 31), health insurance allowance, student fees allowance, travel allowance, and a waiver of registration fees. NOTE: This award is not a full scholarship. Applicants should arrange some supplementary funding.