- Be a US citizen and possess a US passport
- Be at least 18 years old by the start of the program
- Participate in the programme in its entirety
- Have a high level of academic achievement with a minimum GPA of 3.7 (confirmed by academic marks, awards and references)
- Have at least two years of university study left to complete
- Have had little or no study or travel outside of the US
The Fulbright UK Summer Institute does not have a campus process. The application process is lengthy and requires many months of preparation. There is a national deadline.
Should I apply?
Important information, which can help you determine if the Fulbright UK Summer Institute is right for you, can be found here: https://stanford.box.com/Should-I-Apply-General-Handout
Additional information on the Fulbright UK Summer Institute, including application criteria, can be found at: http://www.fulbright.org.uk/fulbright-awards/exchanges-to-the-uk/undergraduates
How the ORC can help
After reading this website and the official Fulbright UK Summer Institute website you should attend an information session. Info sessions can be found at http://bechtel.stanford.edu/overseas-scholarships
The US-UK Fulbright Commission offers nine Special Summer Programs for US citizens to come to the UK. These summer programs provide the opportunity for US undergraduates (aged over 18), with at least two years of undergraduate study left to complete, to come to the UK on a three to four week academic and cultural summer program.
Participants in these programs will have the opportunity to experience an exciting academic program at a highly regarded UK University, explore the culture, heritage and history of the UK, and develop their academic ability by improving presentation, research and communication skills.
In addition, depending on the institute, students will have have the opportunity to:
- Study alongside leading academics and professionals
- Develop knowledge in specific fields
- Experience cultural and social events
- Visit museums, galleries, castles, battlegrounds, stately homes and areas of scenic beauty
- Receive credit to transfer to their home institution
- Meet people from across the US and the world
- Become an ambassador for studying in the UK, for the Fulbright Commission and their host institution(s)