- Recent university graduate. Must hold a bachelor’s degree by August 31.
- Preference will be given to those 25 years old or younger (Average age of students entering the program is 23.)
- Outstanding academic record.
- Strong interest in interdisciplinary study of China
- Record of extracurricular achievement, community engagement, social responsibility, and leadership potential
Note: All students and alumni of partner universities are required to apply through their universities. (Stanford is a partner university with Yenching Academy Program)
The Yenching Academy Fellowship has a campus process and requires a Stanford endorsement. Therefore, you need to be aware of two deadlines: a campus deadline and a national deadline. The campus deadline is typically in early November and the ORC will forward applications by the national deadline. The application process is lengthy and requires many months of preparation.
Should I apply?
Important information, which can help you determine if a Yenching Academy Fellowship is right for you, can be found here: https://stanford.box.com/Should-I-Apply-General-Handout
Additional information about the Yenching Academy scholarship, including application criteria, can be found at: http://yenchingacademy.org/Home/Index/index
Yenching Application Requirements
- Completed Application Form for Partner Universities (available at the ORC)
- Biographical Information
- Academic Background
- Study Plan
- Personal Statement - (maximum 750 words) in English, should include a self-introduction and well-articulated explanation of how the candidate would make the most of the Yenching Academy Program experience, as well as how it would benefit the candidate’s career.
- Research Proposal (maximum one page) should include key research question(s), background to study and/or summary of literature, and study design.
- Curriculum Vitae / Resume
- Stanford Official Transcript (scanned copy) (unofficial transcripts are not acceptable)
- Certificate of Enrollment (see registrar’s office link)
- Two Recommendation Letters and Two Yenching Recommendation Forms (available at the ORC) are to be emailed to Diane Murk at email@example.com by campus deadline.
- The recommendations should be written by full professors or associate professors (or equivalent titles) from Stanford. In the letters, the references should comment on the applicant's achievements (academic abilities), character (personal qualities), and potential (leadership potential and suitability of the program).
- Recommenders for Stanford applicants will not upload their letters to the Yenching Academy online application portal.
- Recommendation writers send via email the reference letters and recommendation form directly to Diane Murk. The ORC will forward the electronic letters to the Yenching Academy.
- Letters should be on letterhead stationary with the signature and sent as a PDF.
- To apply through Stanford University, candidates need to submit via email their Yenching application (available at the ORC), scanned Personal Statement, Research Proposal, CV, and Stanford official transcript, and Certificate of Enrollment in One PDF to the Overseas Resource Center, Attention: Diane Murk firstname.lastname@example.org by our campus deadline by 5:00pm PT on November 10, 2021.
- Candidates need to submit their signed Stanford Overseas Scholarships Nomination Form Waiver (available at the ORC) and the Stanford Yenching Cover Sheet available at the top of this page.
- References need to email Diane Murk their signed recommendation letters along with the Yenching recommendation form (available at the ORC) in a PDF by this date too.
- Please DO NOT SUBMIT your online application at this point for the campus level.
Our Stanford scholarship campus committee for Yenching Academy will review and evaluate applications and then decide on the nominations. Exact timeline will be determined shortly. Nominees will then complete and submit the online application by the end of November.
Our office will forward the application materials including the letters of recommendation to Yenching Academy for further selection at the beginning of December.
How the ORC can help
After reading this website and the official Yenching website you should fill out the ORC Interest Form (located at either the top of this page or our ORC homepage). Next, attend an info session. The schedule for current info sessions can be found on the lower left of our ORC homepage: http://bechtel.stanford.edu/overseas-scholarships. That is your first step in working with the ORC team.
About the Yenching Academy of Peking University Fellowship
The Yenching Academy of Peking University’s competitive postgraduate scholarship program is designed to prepare an elite class of future leaders to tackle the most challenging issues of the world. Yenching Scholars study a core curriculum and Chinese language instruction tailored to their needs on their way to a Master’s in China Studies.
The fellowships for international Yenching Scholars are for twelve months, during the course of which they complete their coursework and may complete the thesis. A limited number of financial aid packages are available for those who wish to remain on campus for a second year. Degrees are granted upon completion of all coursework and satisfactory defense of the thesis, and are awarded in January and July of each year.
Scholars will elect one of the following areas of concentration: Literature & Culture, History & Archaeology, Philosophy & Religion, Politics & International Relations, Economics & Management or Law & Society. The scholarship covers tuition and fees, accommodation, living costs, round trip airfare to Beijing and field studies costs.