Skip to content Skip to navigation

Employment for Dependents of F-1/J-1/H-1/E-3

If you are on an F-2 visa you cannot work, either on or off campus. There are no exceptions to this federal regulation.

If you are on a J-2 visa you can apply to the USCIS for work permission, which allows you to work in almost any employment you can find. However, this employment must be for your benefit and cannot be used to support your J-1 spouse. Those with J-2 visas can find out how to apply for employment authorization by visiting our page on Applying for J-2 Employment Authorization.

Certain H-4 dependents may apply for work authorization. Note carefully that this benefit is not available to all H-4 dependents.

All users of an EAD as a source of work authorization should understand that lengthy processing times, often in excess of 120 days, may lead to gaps in permission to work. This occurs with some frequency, and Stanford is unable to accelerate the processing time of applications for renewed EADs. Employers and employees should be very aware that the EAD is not a stable source of work authorization.

Spouses of E-3 workers in valid E-3 or E-3S status are considered employment-authorized incident to status. See this page under "Family of  E-3 Nonimmigrant Workers."

J-2 Employment Resources

BEAM: Stanford Career Education offers workshops in resume writing, interviewing, and job-hunting strategies. Spouses/domestic partners of current Stanford students are eligible for one appointment per academic year. 

The BEAM office posts current job listings in the Handshake job/Internships database. Only Stanford students or alumni who are registered with BEAM can apply, via the Handshake system, for these listings. Spouses/domestic partners, however, can view these listings using their Stanford student's account and apply directly to the organization. The BEAM office will offer meetups, informal gatherings to provide you with information on a variety of topics including job search strategies, resumes/cover letters, interviewing etc. Log into your Handshake account to see a schedule of the meetups. Make sure to use the keyword search at the top of the page to find the meetups targeting your career community

  • To apply for jobs on campus, visit Stanford Careers, where you can browse for job openings. Current listings can also be found in the Stanford Report.
  • To find temporary employment, contact Manpower Staffing Services (846-2200 or email: at 3825 El Camino Real. For other off-campus agencies, see the yellow pages of the telephone book, under “Employment Agencies.”
  • Check notice boards around campus (Bechtel International Center, Tresidder, academic departments, BEAM, etc.) for postings of occasional work.