Transferring F and J Sponsorship
Transferring to Stanford
- If you are currently at another U.S. institution in F-1/J-1 status and have been accepted to Stanford, you may be eligible to transfer your F-1/J-1 sponsorship to Stanford.
- Upon your acceptance to Stanford, you will receive specific instructions on how to initiate the transfer process.
- You should also contact your current institution on their procedures in transferring you to Stanford.
- See more information on the Graduate Admissions website.
- There can be no gaps between the end of your current program and the beginning of the new program.
- Ask your prospective Stanford department to request the transfer of your sponsorship. You will need to provide the department with a clear copy of your current and previous DS-2019 forms.
- We can only create your Stanford DS-2019 after the transfer date as we do not have access to your SEVIS record before then.
- You and your department will be notified when your new DS-2019 is ready for pick up.
- Please note that you may not depart the U.S. during the transfer period.
Transferring Out of Stanford
Student should fill out the transfer out form (PDF) and submit it to the Bechtel international Center.
- Please make sure your Stanford department is aware of your proposed transfer.
- The transfer must be done prior to the program end date on your current DS-2019 and can only be done after Bechtel International Center receives a transfer request from the new institution.
- Once your department is aware of your transfer, please ask the international office at your new institution to make a transfer request by sending an email to email@example.com.
- The transfer request should include the following information:
- SEVIS number
- J program number of the institution
- Requested transfer effective date
- Verification that you will be transferring to continue research according to your original program objectives and in the same J-1 category (Research Scholar or Short Term Scholar).
Joint degree programs and transferring back to Stanford
If you are currently at another U.S. institution (e.g. HKS/MBA, etc.) under a joint degree program with Stanford, are in F-1/J-1 status, and will be returning to Stanford this coming quarter, you will need to complete the steps below.
1) Contact your current institution regarding their procedures for transferring your SEVIS record to Stanford in a timely manner. Keep in mind that complications may arise with one sponsor being on a semester system and Stanford being on a quarter system. So the SEVI
record might not be released until the semester is over or as early as you would like!
F-1 Stanford University School Code is SFR214F00617000, and the J-1 Program Number for Stanford is P-1-00162
2) Submit the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org at least 3-4 weeks BEFORE the start of the new quarter.
- Completed “transfer in” form
- Completed I-20 Request Form (or DS-2109 Request Form) in order to be issued a new I-20/DS-2019 before returning to Stanford
- Attach proof of funding sources for the academic year (see budget here)
- Copy of your most recent I-94 electronic record (or I-94 card)
3) If you would like your I-20/DS-2019 to be mailed, please arrange shipment by following the instructions at the link below:
- The I-Center cannot create the new I-20/DS-2019 until the SEVIS record has been released to Stanford University, and you have submitted to the I-Center the 4 aforementioned items. The I-Center will take 5-10 business days to create the new I-20/DS-2019.
- Do not make travel arrangements too early. The I-Center will take 5-10 days to issue a new I-20/DS-2019. Especially be mindful of the office closure during the winter break.
- On the day your SEVIS record is released to Stanford you must cease any current employment. This includes working under OPT, STEM extension, academic training, or working on-campus at your previous institution.