Skip to content Skip to navigation

Maintaining J-1 Status for Scholars

As a J-1 visiting scholar at Stanford University, you have been admitted for a specific period of time to engage in a particular research or teaching activity, as described on your DS-2019 form. You must take care during your stay to maintain lawful J-1 status, as failure to do so can have serious long-term consequences for you.

Fortunately, there are some simple steps you can take to ensure that your stay in the US remains valid:

  1. Remember to send your arrival confirmation to the International Center.
  2. Be aware of the expiration date of your status. This is not necessarily the expiration date of your visa; it is the program end date on your DS-2019 form.
  3. If your appointment at the university is extended, the sponsoring department must initiate a DS-2019 extension request to the International Center 4–6 weeks before the current expiration date so that an extended DS-2019 can be issued.
  4. Report any changes to U.S. address, email and phone number within 10 days. These changes will be updated in SEVIS by the Bechtel International Center.
  5. Do not accept unauthorized employment. The only activity you are permitted is the one described on the DS-2019 form. You must consult a scholar advisor before accepting any other  employment. (See information on "offsite activities.")
  6. If offered a comparable position at another college or university, discuss your plans with a scholar advisor at the International Center to make sure that the required transfer procedure can be accomplished.
  7. Comply with Department of State health insurance requirements for J-1 Exchange Visitors and their families. Willful disregard of these requirements will result in termination of your program and your J-1 status.
  8. If you travel out of the U.S. and will re-enter in J-1 status prior to the end of your program, please get travel signature on your DS-2019 from a Bechtel International Center advisor.
  9. Keep your passport valid. Passports can be renewed by your consulate in San Francisco or Los Angeles. Find information about the nearest consulate.