Maintaining J-1 Status for Scholars
As a J-1 visiting scholar at Stanford University, you have been admitted for a specific period of time to engage in a particular research or teaching activity, as described on your DS-2019 form. You must take care during your stay to maintain lawful J-1 status, as failure to do so can have serious long-term consequences for you.
Fortunately, there are some simple steps you can take to ensure that your stay in the US remains valid:
- Remember to send your arrival confirmation to the International Center.
- Be aware of the expiration date of your status. This is not necessarily the expiration date of your visa; it is the program end date on your DS-2019 form.
- If your appointment at the university is extended, the sponsoring department must initiate a DS-2019 extension request to the International Center 4–6 weeks before the current expiration date so that an extended DS-2019 can be issued.
- Report any changes to U.S. address, email and phone number within 10 days. These changes will be updated in SEVIS by the Bechtel International Center.
- Do not accept unauthorized employment. The only activity you are permitted is the one described on the DS-2019 form. You must consult a scholar advisor before accepting any other employment. (See information on "offsite activities.")
- If offered a comparable position at another college or university, discuss your plans with a scholar advisor at the International Center to make sure that the required transfer procedure can be accomplished.
- Comply with Department of State health insurance requirements for J-1 Exchange Visitors and their families. Willful disregard of these requirements will result in termination of your program and your J-1 status.
- If you travel out of the U.S. and will re-enter in J-1 status prior to the end of your program, please get travel signature on your DS-2019 from a Bechtel International Center advisor.
- Keep your passport valid. Passports can be renewed by your consulate in San Francisco or Los Angeles. Find information about the nearest consulate.