Skip to content Skip to navigation

F-1 Student/F-2 Dependent on Post Completion OPT

Documents Required for Re-Entry to the U.S.

  • Valid passport
  • Valid F-1 visa (except for Canadian citizens)
  • Valid I-20 signed for travel by a Bechtel International Center advisor
  • Your I-20 must be signed within 6 months of the date of re-entry
    • F-1 and J-1 students who need a new travel signature on their I-20/DS-2019 can drop it off in the red lockbox at Bechtel Monday-Friday between 10 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.  Your document will be signed and ready to pick up in the lobby on the next weekday between 10 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. You will find your document in an envelope in a mail holder by the stairs. They will be sorted by last name.
    • Students who need an I-20/DS-2019 signed for unexpected or emergency travel in the next 24 hours should come to Bechtel between 1 and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Please use the Ring bell by the bottom of the staircase in the lobby. Our staff will be onsite to provide signatures.
    • For students outside the Stanford area who need a new travel signature please complete the I-20 Reprint Request
  • If your OPT or STEM OPT has been approved by USCIS, please request a new I-20 (I-20 Reprint Request). We will reissue you an I-20 to say "OPT/STEM OPT Approved" instead of "OPT/STEM OPT Pending" or "Requested".
  • Employment Authorization Document (EAD card)
  • Evidence of a job offer or proof of volunteering/internship
  • Proof of sufficient funds in the form of a bank statement if your employment letter does not specify a salary
  • F-2 dependents must have their own I-20 forms with a valid travel signature and valid F-2 visa (except for Canadian citizens)

It is not advisable to

  • Leave the U.S. and attempt to re-enter if you have not yet received your EAD card
  • Travel on a cap gap I-20
  • Travel without a valid job offer

Do not re-enter the U.S. on any visa other than your F-1 or you will forfeit your F-1 status and your ability to work in the U.S.