Skip to content Skip to navigation

F-1/J-1 Student Visas

The F-1 and J-1 visas are the only types of student visas used at Stanford University. The I-20 or the DS-2019 document, issued by Bechtel International Center, is used to obtain either an F-1 visa stamp or a J-1 visa stamp at the U.S. consulate or embassy in the country of residence.

Most students study with an F-1 visa. Not all students qualify for the J-1 visa. Stanford policy prohibits the issuance of the J-1 visa to students who are funded by over 50 percent personal or family income. Students receiving 50 percent RA or TA assistantships or a 50 percent fellowship from Stanford University qualify for both the F-1 or the J-1 visa.

If you are bringing a spouse or children with you, they are considered to be dependents on your visa and will need to obtain F-­2 or J-­2 visas.

F-1 and J-1 visa holders may enter the U.S. up to 30 days before the program start noted on their visa documents.

Students should not enter on a tourist (B-1/B-2 or WT visa waiver) visa if the intent is to go to school.

 New Students

Current Students