J-1 visa holders should contact the Bechtel International Center or your visa sponsor (e.g., Fulbright, LASPAU, etc.) regarding your Leave of Absence.
DHS regulations require an F-1 student to leave the U.S. during the academic year while taking a leave of absence from the school that issued the I-20.
Exceptions (which allow the student to remain in the U.S.) include
- when a student has a documented medical reason.
- Note: Students must request prior approval of the medical leave from the Office of Accessible Education (OAE) before submitting the leave of absence e-form. Students must apply on a quarter-by-quarter basis. Approval can be given for no more than a total of 12 months during a student’s academic program.
- More information on reduced course load or leave of absence due to mental health reasons can be seen here.
- If you are enrolled full-time for three consecutive quarters (including Summer quarter) prior to the Leave.
- If you temporarily transferred to another U.S. school with the intention to return to complete the program at Stanford.
if you do not meet any of these conditions for a leave of absence, you will violate your visa status if you remain in the U.S. on an F-1 visa without enrolling.
Students on post-OPT for one conferred degree, while on a leave of absence from another degree program, may remain in the U.S. Please ensure that the effective quarter of the leave of absence post-dates your degree conferral date. When returning to complete your program, you must request a new I-20 to reflect your new program two weeks prior to the start date of the quarter.
Requesting a Leave of Absence
Students must speak with a Bechtel advisor BEFORE requesting a leave of absence. Failure to speak with an international advisor before requesting a leave could reflect negatively on your ability to return from the leave.
To request a leave of absence please submit a leave of absence e-form petition (found on the Registrar's Office website).
An International Student Advisor will approve the e-form and it will be forwarded to the Registrar’s Office.
Once a Leave of Absence petition is submitted and approved by the Registrar’s Office, you must depart the U.S. within 15 days to comply with federal regulations.
Download forms from the Registrar's Office.
Returning from a Leave of Absence of Less Than 5 Months
- If you are an F-1 student on a Leave of Absence for less than 5 months, you must submit a Reactivation request in Bechtel Connect to reactivate your SEVIS record. We can request SEVIS to reactivate a student's record up to 60 days prior to the start date of the quarter.
- Ensure that the student visa in your passport (with the exception of Canadians) is still valid for re-entry to the U.S.
* Students who take a leave of absence in the Fall can only be reactivated if they were enrolled in Summer quarter, remained in the U.S. for Summer, and requested the Fall leave BEFORE exiting the U.S.
There is always a risk that it may take a long time for the SEVIS record to be activated or SEVIS could deny the reactivation request.
Do not try to return to the U.S. until you have been notified that your SEVIS record is active or you may be denied re-entry.
Returning from a Leave of Absence of 5 Months or More
- If you are on a Leave of Absence and will be out of the U.S. for 5 months or more, you are required to apply for a new I-20/DS-2019 in Bechtel Connect. You may not use your last I-20/DS-2019 for re-entry, as it will no longer be valid.
- You will be required to pay the SEVIS fee again. (Use the SEVIS number on the newly issued I-20/DS-2019 when paying the SEVIS fee.)
- You may enter the U.S. no earlier than 30 days prior to the start date of the quarter for which you will re-enroll. The start date on the new I-20/DS-2019's reflects the start of the quarter.
- You are required to enroll full-time in the first quarter back from the leave of absence. This includes summer quarter if it happens to be the quarter you return.
- F-1 students, please note that you will have to be in F-1 status for three consecutive quarters before you will be eligible for CPT and OPT.
Applying for a new I-20/DS-2019
- Begin the on-line application form in Bechtel Connect. You should submit the online application form for the I-20/ DS-2019 at least 2-3 months before the start of the quarter for which you will be enrolling. The request requires students to upload evidence of sufficient funding.
- Financial Budget: amount of funding needed for new I-20/ DS-2019.
- The online application requires the approval of the academic advisor or department.
- Once the request has been approved by your department it will be forwarded to Bechtel. Processing time for the application with Bechtel is 5-10 business days.
Removing Your Enrollment Hold
If you have been on a leave of absence, a registration hold has been placed on your record until your physical presence at Stanford can be verified.
Once your hold is removed, you must enroll full-time. Any reduced course load approval must be approved by the Office of Accessible Education (OAE) as well as Bechtel International Center.
Extending a Leave of Absence
If you need to extend your leave of absence, you must file another leave of absence petition before the current leave of absence ends.