Skip to content Skip to navigation

Visa Document Process for Scholars Coming to Stanford

J-1 Scholars and Visiting Researchers

Departments are responsible for requesting a DS-2019 from Bechtel. Once we have issued the DS-2019, the Stanford department is notified to pick up the document and mail it to the incoming Exchange Visitor. The Exchange Visitor uses the DS-2019 to apply for a J-1 visa.

H-1B / O-1 Employees

Departments are responsible for submitting applications to Bechtel. Once your application has been approved by USCIS, the Stanford department is notified to pick up the documents and mail them to the incoming employee. The employee will then apply for an H-1B or O-1 visa at a U.S. consulate overseas.

Visa information for Dependents

You should request the dependent DS-2019 at the same time as your initial request is submitted. After receiving these documents, J-1s and their dependents should apply for the visa at the same time from a U.S. consulate or embassy in their home country. If you cannot apply at the same time, the J-2 can apply later. 

Legally married same sex couples are permitted to apply for dependent based visas.

Unfortunately, immigration regulations prohibit the issuance of J-2 dependent based visas to cohabitating partners. Cohabitating partners can apply for a B-2 visa.

J-2 visa holders are allowed to attend school full-time.