A Cap Gap extension under immigration regulations is a period in which an eligible student with an F-1 visa can request to extend legal status to bridge the gap between the expiration of F-1 visa status and the start of H-1B visa status.
You may obtain your Cap Gap I-20 from the Bechtel International Center as soon as you have received your Receipt Notice for H-1B Petition (Notice of Action Form I-797) and your SEVIS record is updated by USCIS. A new EAD card is not be issued.
Bechtel’s processing time for Cap-Gap I-20 is 10 business days.
Applying for a Cap Gap I-20
To obtain the Cap Gap I-20, follow these steps:
- Update your address in the SEVP Portal
- Submit an I-20 Reprint Request in Bechtel Connect.
- Consular processing of an H-1B disqualifies you from a Cap Gap I-20.
- The receipt of an H-1B Registration Selection Notice does not qualify an F-1 student for cap-gap extensions.
- You need to upload a copy of the I-797 Receipt or Approval notice from USCIS in your I-20 reprint request.
Your employer will need to complete an I-9 Process once your Cap Gap request has been approved. Here are the documents needed for this process:
- Expired EAD card
- Receipt Notice for H-1B Petition (Notice of Action Form I-797)
- Cap Gap I-20