Skip to main content Skip to secondary navigation
Summer Hours

The Bechtel International Center will be closed on Fridays from June 14th to September 3rd.

Cap Gap

Main content start

A Cap Gap extension under immigration regulations is a period in which an eligible student with an F-1 visa can request to extend legal status to bridge the gap between the expiration of F-1 visa status and the start of H-1B visa status.

You may obtain your Cap Gap I-20 from the Bechtel International Center as soon as you have received your Receipt Notice for H-1B Petition (Notice of Action Form I-797) and your SEVIS record is updated by USCIS. A new EAD card is not be issued. 

Bechtel’s processing time for Cap-Gap I-20 is 10 business days.

Applying for a Cap Gap I-20

To obtain the Cap Gap I-20, follow these steps:

  • Update your address in the SEVP Portal
  • Submit an I-20 Reprint Request in Bechtel Connect.
    • Consular processing of an H-1B disqualifies you from a Cap Gap I-20.
    • The receipt of an H-1B Registration Selection Notice does not qualify an F-1 student for cap-gap extensions.
    • You need to upload a copy of the I-797 Receipt or Approval notice from USCIS in your I-20 reprint request.

Your employer will need to complete an I-9 Process once your Cap Gap request has been approved. Here are the documents needed for this process:

  • Expired EAD card
  • Receipt Notice for H-1B Petition (Notice of Action Form I-797)
  • Cap Gap I-20