J-1 Scholar Off-Site Activity Authorization
As a J-1 scholar, your professional activities in the United States are limited to that described on your DS-2019, and may only take place on the Stanford campus. However, Bechtel International Center may authorize an occasional lecture or short-term consultation, but only with prior written approval.
If you engage in off-site activities without prior authorization, you are in violation of your J-1 status, which can be cause for termination of your J-1 program.
Bechtel cannot authorize short-term consulting if it exceeds four hours per week or exceeds a period of two months.
The proposed activity connected to your authorization request must:
- Be directly related to the objectives of your program.
- Be incidental to your primary program activities.
- Not delay the completion date of your program.
Off-Site Activity Requests
Bechtel requires a letter and a form to consider an off-site activity request. Please use the links below to prepare these documents.
- Representatives of a firm or institution planning to invite a Stanford J-1 visitor to speak or consult should complete the J-1 Off-Site Authorization Form.
- The faculty host of a J-1 visitor who wishes to engage in an off-site activity should prepare a letter using the J-1 Faculty Letter Template.
Email both documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. The inviting organization will need a copy of the letter in order to pay an honorarium. You should keep a copy for your permanent record.
Send an email to email@example.com with any questions.