Skip to main content Skip to secondary navigation
Summer Hours

The Bechtel International Center will be closed on Fridays from June 14th to September 3rd.

How to Get a Travel Signature

Main content start

F-1 students and dependents, and J-1 students/scholars and dependents who are leaving the United States but plan to return need a valid travel signature on their I-20 (for F visas) or DS-2019 (for J visas) authorizing re-entry into the U.S. 

For Stanford-sponsored visas, the travel signature is provided by Bechtel International Center. If your visa is sponsored by another organization (e.g., Fulbright), contact the sponsor to provide the travel signature. 

Getting a Travel Signature

If you need a new travel signature on your I-20 or DS-2019, you can:

  • Drop-off — Drop your I-20/DS-2019 off in the red lockbox at Bechtel International Center Monday-Thursday between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Your document will be signed and ready to pick up in the lobby the next weekday between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. You will find your document in an envelope in a mail holder by the stairs.
  • Emergency Walk-in — If you need your I-20 or DS-2019 signed for unexpected or emergency travel in the next 24 hours, bring a physical copy of your most recently issued I-20 or DS-2019 to Bechtel Monday through Thursday between 10 a.m. and 12 p.m. or 1 and 4 p.m. Visit the front desk on the second floor to obtain a new travel signature. 

Graduated students outside the Stanford area but still on a Stanford-sponsored visa (e.g., on post-OPT or STEM-OPT) who need a new travel signature should complete the I-20 Reprint Request on Bechtel Connect.