Skip to main content Skip to secondary navigation


Main content start

A citizen of a foreign country who seeks to enter the United States must often first obtain a U.S. visa.

Visas are issued by U.S. consulates or embassies outside the U.S. Generally, the visa is provided in the form of a stamp in the traveler’s passport.

U.S. customs officials check your visa before granting entry at any port of entry, airport, and land border crossing. Your visa indicates that you are eligible for entry to the U.S. in a specific immigration category (e.g., F-1, J-1, H-1B, O-1).

F-1 and J-1 Student Visas

The F-1 and J-1 visas are the only student visas used at Stanford University.

J-1 Scholar Visas

Stanford uses the J-1 scholar categories to host international researchers and instructors.

H-1B Employment Visa

Stanford may use H-1B visas to accommodate temporary employment in professional occupations.

TN Employment Visa

Canadian and Mexican citizens may use this “self-service” visa option when working in approved occupations.

O-1 Nonimmigrant Visa

Allows an employee to work in the U.S. on a temporary basis within their area of extraordinary ability or achievement.

B Visa

Generally, a B visa (commonly referred to as a visitor visa) is for visitors who are entering the U.S. for a short time, typically no more than six months.

Permanent Residence

Allows a non-U.S. citizen to remain in the U.S. permanently and to work in most occupations without the need for additional authorization.