Skip to main content Skip to secondary navigation
Summer Hours

The Bechtel International Center will be closed on Fridays from June 14th to September 3rd.

Getting an H-1 Visa Stamp

Main content start

If you are outside the U.S. and have no H-1 visa stamp or have an expired H-1 visa stamp in your passport, you must apply for a visa at a U.S. Consulate abroad. See for a list of U.S. embassies and consulates.

See Entry Visas in Nonimmigrant Classifications for an overview of the procedures for obtaining a visa.

You must have these documents to apply for an H-1 visa stamp:

  • Your valid passport.
  • The original I-797 Approval Notice.
  • A copy of ETA 9035 (Labor Condition Application).
  • A copy of the signed I-129 petition as filed by Stanford University with USCIS.
  • A current letter of employment from your Stanford University host department.

Note: If you are a Canadian citizen, you are not required to apply for a visa stamp. However, you should prepare the above documents to present to a Customs and Border Protection agent at the port of entry.