Maintaining Status for J-1 Scholars
As a J-1 visiting scholar at Stanford University, you are admitted for a specific period of time to engage in a particular research or teaching activity, as described on your approved DS-2019 form. It is your responsibility to maintain lawful J-1 status by following all related regulations and requirements. Failure to do so can have serious long-term consequences on your ability to remain legally in the United States.
Here are some requirements you can follow to ensure that your J-1 visa remains valid:
- Complete your arrival confirmation form as soon as possible after you enter the U.S.
- Be attentive to the expiration date of the program end date on your DS-2019 form, and have your department request an extension if that is warranted.
- Ensure that if your appointment at the university is being extended, your sponsoring department initiates a DS-2019 extension request to the Bechtel International Center four to six weeks before your current DS-2019 expiration date.
- Report any changes to U.S. address, email, and phone number within 10 days (Address Updates). These changes are updated in SEVIS by the Bechtel International Center.
- Do not accept unauthorized employment. The only employment activity in which you are permitted to engage is the activity described on your DS-2019 form. You must consult a scholar advisor before accepting any other employment. (See J-1 Scholar Off-Site Authorization.)
- If you are accepting a comparable position at another college or university, send an email to a scholar advisor (firstname.lastname@example.org) at Bechtel to discuss your plan and ensure that the required transfer procedure is initiated and completed.
- Comply with Department of State health insurance requirements for J-1 Exchange Visitors and their families. Willful disregard of these requirements results in the termination of your program and your J-1 status. (See Health Insurance.)
- If you travel out of the U.S. and will re-enter in J-1 status prior to the end of your program, get a travel signature on your DS-2019 from a Bechtel International Center advisor.
- Keep your passport valid. Passports can be renewed by your consulate in San Francisco or Los Angeles.