Skip to main content Skip to secondary navigation
Summer Hours

The Bechtel International Center Building is closed on Fridays from June 14th to September 3rd. Staff continue to work remotely on Fridays.

Applying for a TN visa

Main content start

There are two types of TN Visa:

  1. TN-1 for Canadian applicants—Apply at the port of entry
  2. TN-2 for Mexican applicants— Requires an application for an entry visa at a US Consulate.

Application Procedures

Prospective TN employees apply in real-time (at the U.S. consulate for Mexican citizens, and at the border or airport for Canadians.) The program is self-service and largely "hands-free" for your host department or unit, requiring only the preparation of a letter, and no institutional expense.  

Please note that TN status is not "dual intent". Admission is contingent on (among other things) the presumption that the applicant plans to return to the home country at some point in the future. TN status is not compatible with tenure-track faculty appointments or plans to immigrate to the U.S. (i.e., become a "permanent resident" and hold a "green card.") In those cases, H-1 is the preferred status.

Canadian Citizens

Canadian citizens may apply for TN status with the documents noted in the section below at either:

  • A U.S. port-of-entry (POE).
  • Pre-flight inspection counters at international airports.

Canadian citizens are exempt from the need for an entry visa in the passport for TN purposes.

Mexican Citizens

Mexican citizens must apply for a TN entry visa with the documents noted in the section below at a U.S. embassy or consulate.

Required Documentation 

Prospective Canadian TN workers who are planning to apply for entry in TN status at the border or prospective Mexican TN workers who apply for the TN visa at the consulate need to present the following documents:

Additionally, the following documents are sometimes requested and may help you avoid challenges:

  • Copies of your current and previous immigration documents issued at the border or through the mail, if the Customs and Border Protection officer wants to see them.
  • Letters supporting experience in the field, if available. (Some occupations require experience; otherwise, these may be helpful to establish that you are an established practitioner of the discipline. Such letters should not address immigration issues in any way.)  
  • Representative examples of articles you’ve published, or other relevant evidence of your experience in the occupational field in question. You are responsible for providing these if requested. 

A fee is also assessed at the border (for Canadians) or at the consulate (for Mexicans).