Bechtel is sharing the grief of our Turkish and Syrian students, scholars, and staff, in the horrific aftermath of the earthquakes which struck southeastern Turkey and northern Syria on February 6th. As we continue to learn of the extent of this disaster in its toll on human life, infrastructure and the thousands upon thousands of people of his region impacted, the need for help now – and for years to come – is critical.
Many of the survivors are homeless and injured. We urge all those who can, to donate to the many organizations providing life-saving support on the ground in the form of food, shelter, and medical care to survivors. The Turkish Student Association has already begun to raise awareness on campus and is promoting a list of fundraising organizations which are providing relief to the impacted areas.
Here is the Bridge to Turkey Fund - a U.S.-based aid foundation to which many in the Stanford community have donated.
Other organizations to which to donate which are helping with the Turkish relief effort:
• AKUT – Turkish Search and Rescue Organization
• AHBAP - One of the most active volunteer networks in the affected regions
• National Arab American Medical Association (NAAMA) – The largest international organization of Arab American physicians and medical students based in the United States
• Syrian American medical Society (SAMS) - Global medical relief organization working in Syria
• Mercy Corps – A global non-governmental, humanitarian aid organization
• Humanity & Inclusion – A non-governmental international organization
• Project Onwards – A network of Syrian Americans working on educational, developmental, and cultural projects in Syria.
• UN Crisis Relief
• SOS Chrétiens d’Orient – SOS Chrétiens d’Orient is an apolitical NGO working in the heart of the secured areas of the Middle-East since 2013.