Responsibilities of Sponsoring Departments for J-1 Scholars
Main content start
- Inform J-1 scholars that they are required to have health insurance for themselves and their J-2 dependents that meet the State Department's requirements for the J program.
- Monitor the J-1 scholar’s arrival dates and inform Bechtel International Center of possible delays or cancellations.
- Remind the J-1 scholar to submit the J Arrival and Insurance Confirmation web form no later than the 15th day after the start date on the J-1 visa document.
- Request a new DS-2019 in workflow to reflect the later start date if the J-1 scholar or department postpones the visit.
- Submit a cancellation request in Workflow if the J-1 scholar or department cancels the visit prior to the arrival of the scholar.
- Remind J-1 scholars to report a change of address within 10 days of moving.
- Notify the Bechtel International Center if the J-1 scholar’s appointment ends more than 15 days before the program end date on the DS-2019 only if the scholar will not be transferring to another US institution.
- Initiate a J-1 extension, if needed, at least three months in advance of the expiration date on the DS-2019.
- Contact the Office for Graduate Medical Education if you plan to sponsor a J-1 scholar who will engage in clinical research or patient contact.
- Inform the Bechtel International Center if the J-1 scholar seeks to change departments within Stanford so that this change can be evaluated, and, if approved, a revised DS-2019 can be issued.
- Submit an “Add Site of Activity Request” in Workflow if your J-1 scholar will be engaging in off-site activities.