Preparing IRS Tax Forms
To prepare your IRS Tax Forms, you will need to collect certain documents. These documents will differ depending on your employment circumstances. For more information on these forms, see the Forms to Complete for US Taxes page.
Documents to Collect: RA/TA Jobs, Hourly Jobs, Salaried Positions
- W-2 Form: Visit Fingate’s page on W-2 forms, if you do not receive this form by the end of January.
- 1042-S Form:
- This only applies if you were exempt from federal taxes because of a tax treaty
- Note: If W-2 box 1 = W2 box 16, then you will not have a 1042-S for wages
- Submit a HelpSU ticket to Payroll if you do not receive this form by March 20
Documents to Collect: Non-Stanford Employment
- W-2 Form. If you received wages from non-Stanford employment, you should receive a W-2 from that employer. Contact the employer directly if you do not receive this form.
Documents to Collect: Non-Qualified Scholarship/Fellowship from Stanford
A scholarship/fellowship is considered to be non-qualified if it was used for expenses other than tuition and mandatory fees at the university.
- 1042-S Form: Submit a HelpSU ticket to Payroll if you do not receive this form by March 20
- Other Considerations:
- Any amount that exceeds tuition and mandatory fees is taxable. You may be exempt from being taxed if your home country has a tax treaty with the U.S.
- Any amount that exceeds the amount of your tuition and mandatory fees at the university is considered taxable income and is reported on a Form W-2.
Regardless of your status as a resident or non-resident for tax purposes, you should receive a Form 1099 from your bank noting the amount of interest you earned in 2021. Please keep this for your records.
More information on tax considerations for those receiving fellowships and assistantships, including tax treaty information is available on the Student Payments page.
Mailing Address for Federal Tax Forms 1040NR, 1040NR-EZ and Form 8843
If not enclosing a payment forms must be mailed to:
Department of Treasury
Internal Revenue Service Center
Austin, TX 73301-0215
Mailing Address for California State Tax Form 540
If your tax return shows a refund or no amount due, mail your forms to:
Franchise Tax Board
PO Box 942840
Sacramento CA 94240-0001