Skip to content Skip to navigation

Getting an H-1 Visa Stamp

If the employee is outside the U.S. and has no H-1 visa stamp or has an expired H-1 visa stamp in the passport, he/she needs to apply for a visa at a U.S. Consulate abroad. See a list of U.S. consulates.

An overview of procedures is available here.

List of documentation required for H-1 visa stamp:

  1. The original form I-797 Approval Notice.
  2. A copy of ETA 9035 (Labor Condition Application).
  3. A copy of the signed I-129 petition as filed by Stanford University with USCIS.
  4. A current letter of employment from the Stanford University host department.

Note to Canadians: Canadian citizens are not required to apply for a visa stamp. However, they should prepare the above documents for presentation to a Customs and Border Protection agent at the port of entry.