Skip to content Skip to navigation

H-1B Employee

H-1B visas are used to accommodate temporary employment in professional occupations. The references to “specialty occupation,” and the additional language used in the H-1 regulations referring to the requirement of a Bachelor’s degree can be misleading. The H-1 program requires employers, when they compile H-1 petitions, to establish a very specific relationship between a job that normally and customarily requires the holder to have at least a Bachelor’s degree, and a candidate who has at least a Bachelor’s degree, or its foreign equivalent, IN THE FIELD specific to the job.

There are many staff positions at Stanford that are formally described as needing a Bachelor’s degree “or equivalent education and experience.” If Stanford has the discretion to hire a candidate who does not have a Bachelor’s degree, the job is not H-1 eligible. Likewise, if it’s possible for someone to do the job without a Bachelor’s degree IN THE FIELD specific to the job, the job is not H-1 eligible.

H-1B sponsorship also requires that employers pay a prevailing wage or the actual wage, whichever is higher.

Stanford University most commonly uses the H-1B temporary professional worker category for regular academic staff positions such as tenure-track faculty members or research associates. Other regular staff positions such as programmer/analysts and research specialists may also be eligible. Only Bechtel International Center can submit H-1B visa applications on behalf of  Stanford University. Stanford does not sponsor part-time H-1B positions. Individuals who are subject to the two-year home residency requirement  are not eligible for H-1B status unless they have received a waiver or fulfilled the two year home country residency requirement. Prospective employees should direct all questions to their sponsoring department.

Post Docs: In rare circumstances, post-doctoral scholars may be considered for H-1B sponsorship. The J-1 visa is the appropriate visa type for most Stanford postdoctoral scholars. The university prohibits receipt of fellowship support to employment visa holders such as H-1B, O-1, TN. The host department needs to contact the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs before initiating the H-1B process on behalf of a postdoc.

Timeline for Submission of Applications

Departments should initiate H-1B procedures at least two months before the employee’s scheduled start date.

We cannot begin working on the H-1B until we receive the approved workflow transaction, which is initiated by the Stanford department. Other offices, such as the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs or the Dean of Research, must first approve the transactions. Transactions and approvals can take a week to several weeks. Once we receive it, it can take another two to three weeks for the petition to be prepared and sent to USCIS. USCIS processing time ranges from almost six months with regular processing to about three weeks with premium processing, an optional service available at extra charge payable to USCIS.

Training sessions on H-1B workflow for department administrators are offered monthly at Bechtel International Center. 

Length of Stay

An H-1B petition can be approved for an initial period of no more than three years. It can be extended as required but the maximum stay permitted in H-1B status is no more than six years. There is no minimum period.

New Employees Within the U.S. Changing Status to H-1B or Porting to Stanford: New employees within the U.S. changing status to H-1B or porting (transferring) to Stanford may begin work no earlier than the approved date on the Stanford I-797 and no later than 60 days from the start date on the I-797.

Employees Outside the U.S.Employees applying for H-1B status from outside the U.S., may not enter the U.S. more than 10 days before the start date on the I-797. Employees who enter in H-1 status must be on payroll no later than 30 days after the start date on the I-797.